The new 2014.02.16 Bluestar DeskPro Developer Edition has been released and is available for download. This release provides the following features:
- latest KDE-4.12.2
- latest firefox-27, chromium-32, thunderbird-24.3.0
- latest apache-ant-1.9.3, gstreamer-1.2.3
- latest flashplugin-184.108.40.2066, wine-1.7.12
- latest libreoffice-4.1.5, ubuntuone-13.10
- latest mariadb-5.5.35, vlc-2.1.3, gimp-2.8.10
- latest mesa-10.0.3, python-3.3.4, samba-4.1.4
- latest gparted-0.17.0, gtk3-3.10.7, glibc-2.19
- latest libldap-2.4.39, openjdk-7.u51_2.4.5, ffmpeg-1:2.1.3
- latest grub-1:2.02.beta2, webkitgtk-2.2.4
- latest acpi-2.0.21, calibre-1.24.0, blender-12:2.69.c7ac0e
- latest php-5.5.9, binutils-2.24, imagemagick-220.127.116.11
- latest virtualbox-4.3.6, wordpress-3.8.1, shorewall-18.104.22.168
- latest procps-ng-3.3.9 (replaces sysvinit)
- many more updates - see links below for details
- all software up to date as of 02/16
Complete listings of package updates are available for the i686
There a couple of things to note with this release in particular.
First, I apologize for the size of the 64-bit version - it comes in slightly larger than the max DVD size. In fact, I rebuilt it after removing gambas3 in an attempt to get its size down, but apparently I'll need to revisit this issue and remove something else from this edition. I'm thinking of removing the Java Netbeans IDE which would not only give me lots of extra room to work with, but would leave it up to the user as to which IDE they'd prefer to install - I'm well aware that not everyone loves Netbeans, and that in fact, most developers prefer Eclipse anyway. The only reason I included Netbeans vs. Eclipse was because Netbeans was smaller. IntelliJ IDEA is also available for those who prefer something else entirely.
The second thing to note is, as I mentioned above, gambas3 has been removed from the 64-bit version - it has not been removed from the 32-bit version. If I remove Netbeans from future deskpro-devel releases, I'll add gambas3 back to both versions. To install, simply do a "pacman -S gambas3" on your command line.
The third, and perhaps the most important piece of news, is that the 64-bit version now includes the new prebootloader package, which is a (U)EFI enhancement. Initial testing on my part seems to confirm that this new package does indeed resolve the issue of falsely identifying a (U)EFI system and pushing the boot into an unwanted EFI boot menu. If anyone has finds an EFI-related issue, please let me know. I might not be able to fix it, but I can definitely help out by researching the problem (and hopefully resolving it satisfactorily).
This edition contains a pretty significant number of updates which could be because Arch is really dragging its feet on releasing the new 3.13 kernel giving them some time to update some other packages - who knows for sure. Hopefully, they'll resolve whatever problem is preventing them from releasing the new kernel soon since linux-3.13 does contain some new foundational logic for the gma500 driver, including making connections into the Intel GEM codebase.
I don't plan on building/releasing the gma3600 version of deskpro-developer until linux-3.13 is released.
This edition now includes the new Winter splash screen and wallpaper. The older ones were left in place and are still available via the System Settings.